POULTRY DIVISION 2023
Entry Fee $30.00
SUPERINTENDENT: CHARLES TAYLOR
ASST. SUPERINTENDENT: JOEL KERBY
Download using the PDF icon at the top of the page
1. Deadline to turn in poultry wing band numbers to the Poultry Superintendent will be no later than 7 days after their distribution. (Applies to both broilers and roasters) After 11:59PM of the 7th day all unregistered wing banded poultry will be ineligible for show. Registering wing band numbers does not enter birds in the show. Entry form(s) and a signed “Livestock Exhibition Policy” form must be submitted through the exhibitor’s CEA/AST by October 1.
Poultry may be owned by a family in two methods:
1) A family may order 50 birds and allow all household family eligible children to show from same order of 50. Or 2), a family may order 50 birds for each eligible child and each child may only show from his/her registered birds.
The above ordering methods may not be combined in a family. All exhibitors showing as a family must have the same legal residence and the same legal guardian/parent and living in the same residence of record.
2. Birds must be owned, housed and cared for by the exhibitor for the entire feeding period prior to the show date as certified by the County Agent or Ag Science Teacher. Birds must be kept at a school owned facility or in a facility located at the exhibitor’s legal residence of record for the full duration of the feeding period. Any requested exception must be made to the Poultry Show superintendent and Harvest Festival Board President in writing 21 days in advance of taking possession of the birds by the exhibitor’s supervising CEA/AST. A decision will be issued in writing to the supervising CEA/AST of the exhibitor. Exhibitors not conforming to these rules will be disqualified from the poultry show.
3. Both male and female birds will be allowed to be shown in both Roaster and Broiler shows.
4. An exhibitor must be present at judging time and owners of broilers and roasters that sell must be present at the auction.
5. Poultry will be a one day show. Exhibitors must provide their own containment for poultry prior to showing…there will be NO poultry cages. Poultry will go directly from the show ring to the truck. Only poultry registered by wing band to the exhibitor may be show by the exhibitor.
6. All roasters & broilers will be checked-in/sifted starting at 12:30 pm Tuesday, October 24, 2023. Entries lacking show quality or disease must be removed at the request of the Superintendent.
7. Only Harvest Festival wing banded birds will be allowed to be shown. Wing bands will be checked at entry by the Superintendent. Wing bands must be attached to the bird at all times. If the bird isn’t banded at the time of judging, the entry will be disqualified and the next placing entry will be moved up in order.
8. Poultry show will start at 1:00 pm Tuesday with roasters first followed by broilers.
9. Poultry Show is terminal. Once the judging is complete, the birds will be removed from the grounds by Harvest Festival representatives.
10. All classes will be judged by classification system (blue, red, white).
11. Only blue ribbon pens will be eligible for the sale regardless of number of pens or how few pens receive blue ribbons.
12. Each exhibitor may sell only one pen of EITHER roasters OR broilers.
13. ALL EXHIBITORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEANING THEIR AREA AND EMPTYING SHAVINGS/FEATHERS INTO PROPER RECEPTACLES.
BROILER RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. All chicks shall be ordered through the Show Superintendent, and distributed at random on a specified date. A minimum of fifteen (15) chicks must be ordered by each exhibitor.
2. A pen shall consist of three (3) birds.
3. Entries are limited to one (1) pen per person.
4. Each pen of three birds must weigh a minimum of 15 pounds.
5. Judging will be made on the basis of condition and market value.
6. A maximum of 30 pens of broilers will sell in the sale.
7. All broilers will be sifted for breast blisters and mites.
ROASTER RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Each entry shall consist of one (1) bird. Exhibitors are limited to two (2) entries.
2. All roasters will be purchased through the Harvest Festival and Livestock Show.
3. Roasters must weigh 9 pounds or more to be eligible to compete.
4. All roasters will be sifted for breast blisters and mites.
5. All roasters will be judged for condition and market value.
6. A maximum of 30 roasters will sell in the sale.
HF 2023 Poultry Showmanship Criteria
Showmanship will be judged during each individual poultry show. One showmanship award will be presented in the Broiler show and one showmanship award will be presented in the Roaster show. All entered exhibitors (Registered Poultry Pen Owners Only) in each division (Roaster & Broiler) will compete for 1 single showmanship award.
The poultry pen owner must be present (holding their own poultry pen) to be considered for showmanship.
Each award will be presented to the individual in that respective show that most closely meets the following criteria:
Exhibitor demonstrates competent skills in the presentation and handling of the bird(s).
Exhibitor is acutely aware of the judge and judging process (In the ring) at all times during the showing process.
Exhibitor demonstrates acceptable show ring etiquette and behavior.
Exhibitor presents poultry that has been well cared for and properly selected for show.
Eligibility For Award:
Broilers: Registered Exhibitor (owner) only, not holders helping.
Roasters: Registered Exhibitor (owner) only, not holders helping.
Registered exhibitor (owner) will be identified by specific entry pen numbered badge. Probably by tag color.
In all instances, “exhibitor” refers to the registered owner of the poultry project.
SCHEDULE OF AWARDS:
PLACING – RIBBONS
GRAND CHAMPION – TROPHY BUCKLE
RESERVE CHAMPION – TROPHY BUCKLE
BROILER SHOWMANSHIP – TROPHY BUCKLE
ROASTER SHOWMANSHIP – TROPHY BUCKLE