HOME ECONOMICS RULES 2020
SUPERINTENDENT: Mary Beth Mann
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT: Mandy Patrick
Download using the PDF icon at the top of the page
Schedule for Wednesday, October 21, 2020
4:00-8:00 PM – Check-In of all home economics entries at the Maude Cobb Convention Center
Schedule for Thursday, October 22, 2020
10:00 AM-12:00 PM – Exhibits Judged
2:00PM – Public viewing of home economics divisions.
3:00-6:00 PM – All home economic entries must be checked out and picked up. Entries not picked up by 6:00 PM will be discarded.
Items are judged by experienced and trained individuals. Entries may receive either a blue, red or white ribbon. Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Junior Grand Champion, Junior Reserve Champion, and Best of Show are awarded in each division. Clover Kids will only receive participation ribbons.
Rules and Regulations
- All entries will be subject to the General Rules and Regulations of the Harvest Festival.
- ALL HOME ECONOMICS ENTRIES WILL BE PREPAID. ALL ENTRY MONEY WILL BE DUE OCTOBER 1, 2020. Entries must be done online at: http://harv.fairmanager.com/
- Ribbons will not be awarded when exhibit is unworthy.
- Only blue ribbon entries will be eligible for Best of Show awards.
- Entries should be original work of the exhibitor and completed within the last festival year.
- All entries in each division will be divided into three (3) age categories. Clover Kids will be K- 2nd),
Junior (age 8 and in 3rd grade to age 13) and Senior (14-19 years of age). This will be determined by ages as of August 31, 2019. Clover kids cannot sell any items but will receive participation ribbons.
- The entry fee is $10.00 PER ENTRY for the Food Creation Division and $3.00 PER ENTRY for the Salsa Division. The entry fee for other divisions will be a $2.00 per entry. Poster Contest for Clover Kids is $1.00 per entry.
- The Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Junior Grand Champion, and Junior Reserve Champion in the Food Creations will be auctioned at the sale on Saturday night. The winners will need to make a fresh entry to sell at the auction.
- Exhibits will not be released before 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 22, 2020 and must be picked up by 6:00 p.m. that same day. Please do not ask for exceptions. The Harvest Festival will not be responsible for lost or damaged goods. Food Entries not picked up by 6:00 will be discarded.
- All entries must be labeled with name of exhibitor, school or organization, and a contact phone number. Please make sure this information is in a location that the judges cannot view.
- In no event will the Harvest Festival Board, members, or the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office – Gregg County be responsible for any injury or loss which may occur while in transit or while at the festival, including as a result of sampling entries.
- Superintendents reserve the right to subdivide divisions/classes based on this year’s entries and competition.
Food Creations Division A
Entry fee – $10.00 per entry (only two entries per exhibitor allowed in Food Creation)
Chosen Ingredient for 2020 is: Pumpkin
Each entry must contain the above “chosen ingredient” and it must be listed in the recipe’s ingredients. Each entry must be accompanied by the recipe at check in. Use disposable plates and or platters. Make sure the entry is covered completely to ensure food safety regulations. Make sure all wording that identifies the owner is not on the front of the recipe card.
All entries for this division must NOT require refrigeration. Items which require refrigeration will be disqualified. Be sure also to follow the Harvest Festival & Livestock Show Creative Arts – Food Safety Guidelines on our website.
Recipes must accompany the entries at check in – recipe will not be returned! All recipes become the property of the Harvest Festival Home Economics Division. Recipes must be printed or typed on any size note card and on the back of the card must be labeled with the entry number, name of exhibitor, school or organization, and contact phone number.
Items will be judged on appearance, moisture, texture, consistency, flavor and containing the chosen ingredient. No points will be awarded based on plated presentation.
All baked goods are to be made from scratch. No store bought cake, cookie, or brownie mixes are allowed.
Salsa Contest Division B
Entry Fee – $3.00 per entry (only two entries per exhibitor allowed).
A typed recipe must accompany the entry at check in. Be sure the recipe or the salsa container does not have wording that identifies the owner in a location that the judges can view. Salsa entries must be canned and in a container with a SEALED lid. Improperly processed salsa will be disqualified. Recipes must include processing times and instructions. The salsa categories include:
Non-tomato based (vegetable) salsa
Chips may accompany each entry. However, they are not required but will be furnished to the judges for tasting.
Criteria for judging will be based on taste, aroma, consistency and color.
Fine Arts Division C (Entry Fee – $2.00 per entry)
Any original painting or drawing that fits into the following category is acceptable.
Handcrafts Division D (Entry Fee – $2.00 per entry)
Each entry must be appropriate for decorating and fit into the following categories:
1. Fiber Arts
2. Hand Stitchery
3. Rug making
6. Table decorations
7. Wall hangings
9. Wreaths/door decorations
10. Wearable Arts/clothing
Criteria for judging will be based on material selection, creativity, originality, workmanship, overall presentation.
Photography Division E (Entry Fee – $2.00 per entry)
Photos can be black & white or color and should be matted but not framed. Photos must be 8″ X 10″ only in dimension. Photography will be judged in two categories black & white photographs and color photographs.
All photos must be an original photo taken by the exhibitor.
Criteria for judging will be based on originality, technical aspect, composition, artistic merit, overall impact.
Pumpkin Contest Division F (Entry Fee – $2.00 per entry)
Decorate, carve, paint or dress up a pumpkin for this event.
Let your imagination run wild while also considering the Harvest Festival theme.
1. Each entry can be carved, decorated or painted by the exhibitor.
2. No electrical or battery operated devices may be used as part of any entry.
3. Harvest Festival will not be responsible for lost or damaged goods.
Judging: – Entries will be judged according to the following:
Original, Creativity, Quality of work, Funny, Scary, bizarre and/or patriotic.
Poster Division G (Entry Fee – $1.00 per entry)
Clover Kids: K-2nd grade.
Theme: Harvest Festival
Judging will consider neatness, originality, and skill.
Please include your name and county on the back of your poster.