BEEF CATTLE DIVISION
Entry Fee $20.00
SUPERINTENDENT: Dee Hunt
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT: Jodie Miller
- An entry fee of $20.00 per head must be received with the entry form.
- All entries in this department are subject to the general rules and regulations published on this website, as well as subject to the following special rules.
- ALL EXHIBITORS MUST CLEAN THEIR STALL AND PEN AREAS, AND REFUSE DEPOSITED AT DESIGNATED AREAS BEFORE BEING RELEASED. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL CAUSE FORFEITURE OF AWARDS.
- The Cattle Shows will be “Blow-and-Go Shows” – No Adhesives.
JUNIOR BEEF HEIFER SHOW
CLASSES: Heifers will show by breed within 3 (three) divisions (American, British, Exotics). A minimum of 5 (five) entries within a breed is required for a breed to show separately (Angus, Brahman, Charolais, etc.). Breeds with less than 5 entries will show in AOB within their division.
- Heifers must be born between September 1, 2020 and 2022.
- Heifer classes will be fairly and equitably divided according to age by the Beef Superintendents. Classes for the 2022 show will be:
Class I: January 1, 2022 & younger
Class II: September 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
Class III: May 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021
Class IV: January 1, 2021 – April 30, 2021
Class V: September 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020
- Supreme Champion Heifer and Reserve Supreme Champion Heifer will be selected from champions of the 3 (three) divisions.
JUNIOR BEEF HEIFER SHOW SCHEDULE OF AWARDS:
1ST THRU 8TH PLACE – RIBBONS
BREED CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – TBA
DIVISION CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – BUCKLES
SUPREME HEIFER – TBA
RESERVE SUPREME HEIFER – TBA
BREEDING BEEF DIVISION
- ALL HEIFERS IN THE RESPECTIVE BREED CLASSES OF THE BREEDING BEEF SHOW SHALL BE REGISTERED WITH THAT BREED ASSOCIATION IN THE NAME OF THE EXHIBITOR BY OCTOBER 1, 2022. NO ENTRIES REGISTERED UNDER RANCH NAMES OR IN PARTNERSHIPS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- The registration papers or proof of application must be presented to the Beef Superintendent upon request. The eligibility of any animal for a class shall be determined by an official representative of the breed association, the County Extension Agent, Ag Science Instructor or the Beef Superintendents. The Beef Superintendents shall have the authority to make final decisions regarding the eligibility of an entry or exhibitor.
- Classes will be determined by the number of entries in each breed. Breed classes will be provided at the discretion of the Beef Superintendent for all breeds with 5 (five) or more entries shown. Breeds with less than 5 entries are eligible to show in the Other Breeds class.
- Heifers eligible for entry in the Other Breeds class may be either purebred or crossbred. In cases where registration papers are not applicable, the CEA/AST must certify age and ownership as of October 1, 2022 on the entry form.
- An exhibitor may show no more than two (2) entries in an individual class. The entry must be shown by the exhibitor, except that the exhibitor may obtain the assistance of another Jr. Exhibitor in classes where the exhibitor has two entries.
Steers in the 2022 Harvest Festival Livestock Show will be divided into classes by the Superintendents.
MARKET STEER DIVISION
- Only steers entered in the Market Steer Division will be eligible for the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All steers entered in the Market Steer Division must have been validated with the State of Texas Validation for 2022-23 Major Shows.
COPIES OF STEER VALIDATION FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE GREGG COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE BY JULY 11, 2022.
- Once steers have qualified for the auction, ear tags must remain in the ear of the steer. Steers with ear tags removed (either before or after the auction) will be disqualified.
- All steers must weigh 1,000 pounds or more.
- No animal that has previously sold in a Premium Sale is eligible to sell in the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All steers will be presented for weighing and sifting under the direction of the Beef Superintendent at 8:00-9:00 a.m. Friday, October 28, 2022 on the scales at the north end of the Livestock Barn. There will be NO weigh back and no tolerance on weight. Official scales will be available after 8 p.m. on Wednesday, October 26, 2022 through the Market Steer weigh-in on Friday. In case of a disqualification, the next placing steer in that class would be moved up.
- Steers will be selected for sale order by the judge immediately after the Market Steer Classes, and all steers selected for the sale must sell.
- The market steer show will be “slick-shear.” Steers’ hair must be shorn/clipped to no more than 1/4″ length on any location of the body excluding the ears and excluding the tail switch (any hair on the tail not sheared and left on the tail above the tail switch shall not be more than 6″ above the end of the cartilage of the tail). Steers must be sheared prior to arrival at the show.
- All market steers are subject to being randomly selected for drug testing at the discretion of the Livestock Show Superintendent or the Beef Cattle Superintendent. The use of animal drugs or other substances in any manner other than in accord with the labeling approved by the FDA is a violation of federal law and Harvest Festival & Livestock Show rules. Exhibitor’s and exhibitor’s parents/guardians agree that: (a) they are absolutely and completely responsible for the care and custody of their animal(s), (b) the Harvest Festival & Livestock Show shall be entitled to disqualify an exhibitor whose animal tests positive for any drug, even if the exhibitor and the exhibitor’s parents/guardians are innocent of any wrongdoing and did not administer the drug and (c) the drug test results of the testing laboratory are final and binding upon the exhibitor and the exhibitor’s parents/guardians. In the event of a positive test from drugs the Harvest Festival & Livestock Show shall disqualify the exhibitor and withhold all prizes including market sale proceeds.
PROSPECT STEER DIVISION
- The Prospect Steer Division will consist of steers not entered in the Market Steer Division.
- Animals in the Prospect Steer Division will not be eligible for the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All prospect steers will be presented for weighing and registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 29, 2022.
- The Beef Superintendents shall have the responsibility of determining the respective classes.
- Prospect Steers will be shown by weight in 3 divisions – American, British, Exotic.
PROSPECT STEER SCHEDULE OF AWARDS:
1ST THRU 8TH PLACE – RIBBONS
DIVISION CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – TBA
GRAND CHAMPION PROSPECT STEER – TROPHY BUCKLE
RESERVE CHAMPION PROSPECT STEER – TROPHY BUCKLE