2018 Harvest Festival and Livestock Show
BEEF CATTLE DIVISION
Entry Fee $20.00
SUPERINTENDENT: Dee Hunt
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT: Jodie Miller
- An entry fee of $20.00 per head must be received with the entry form.
- All entries in this department are subject to the general rules and regulations published on this website, as well as subject to the following special rules.
- ALL EXHIBITORS MUST CLEAN THEIR STALL AND PEN AREAS, AND REFUSE DEPOSITED AT DESIGNATED AREAS BEFORE BEING RELEASED. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL CAUSE FORFEITURE OF AWARDS.
- The Cattle Shows will be “Blow-and-Go Shows” – No Adhesives.
JUNIOR BEEF HEIFER SHOW
CLASSES: Heifers will show by breed within 3 (three) divisions (American, British, Exotics). A minimum of 5 (five) entries within a breed is required for a breed to show separately (Angus, Brahman, Charolais, etc.). Breeds with less than 5 entries will show in AOB within their division.
- Heifers must be born between September 1, 2016 and 2018.
- Heifer classes will be fairly and equitably divided according to age by the Beef Superintendents. Classes for the 2018 show will be:
Class I: January 1, 2018 & younger
Class II: September 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
Class III: May 1, 2017 – August 31, 2017
Class IV: January 1, 2017 – April 30, 2017
Class V: September 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016
- Supreme Champion Heifer and Reserve Supreme Champion Heifer will be selected from champions of the 3 (three) divisions.
JUNIOR BEEF HEIFER SHOW SCHEDULE OF AWARDS:
1ST THRU 8TH PLACE – RIBBONS
BREED CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – TUMBLERS
DIVISION CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – BUCKLES
SUPREME HEIFER – LEATHER DIRECTOR’S CHAIR
RESERVE SUPREME HEIFER – BANNER
BREEDING BEEF DIVISION
- ALL HEIFERS IN THE RESPECTIVE BREED CLASSES OF THE BREEDING BEEF SHOW SHALL BE REGISTERED WITH THAT BREED ASSOCIATION IN THE NAME OF THE EXHIBITOR BY OCTOBER 1, 2018. NO ENTRIES REGISTERED UNDER RANCH NAMES OR IN PARTNERSHIPS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- The registration papers or proof of application must be presented to the Beef Superintendent upon request. The eligibility of any animal for a class shall be determined by an official representative of the breed association, the County Extension Agent, Ag Science Instructor or the Beef Superintendents. The Beef Superintendents shall have the authority to make final decisions regarding the eligibility of an entry or exhibitor.
- Classes will be determined by the number of entries in each breed. Breed classes will be provided at the discretion of the Beef Superintendent for all breeds with 5 (five) or more entries shown. Breeds with less than 5 entries are eligible to show in the Other Breeds class.
- Heifers eligible for entry in the Other Breeds class may be either purebred or crossbred. In cases where registration papers are not applicable, the CEA/AST must certify age and ownership as of October 1, 2018 on the entry form.
- An exhibitor may show no more than two (2) entries in an individual class. The entry must be shown by the exhibitor, except that the exhibitor may obtain the assistance of another Jr. Exhibitor in classes where the exhibitor has two entries.
Steers in the 2018 Harvest Festival will be divided into classes by the Superintendents.
MARKET STEER DIVISION
- Only steers entered in the Market Steer Division will be eligible for the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All steers entered in the Market Steer Division must have been validated with the State of Texas Validation for Fall Shows.
COPIES OF STEER VALIDATION FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE GREGG COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE BY JULY 10, 2018.
- Once steers have qualified for the auction, ear tags must remain in the ear of the steer. Steers with ear tags removed (either before or after the auction) will be disqualified.
- All steers must weigh 1,000 pounds or more.
- No animal that has previously sold in a Premium Sale is eligible to sell in the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All steers will be presented for weighing and sifting under the direction of the Beef Superintendent at 9:00 a.m. October 25, 2018. Exhibitors will be responsible for turning in their own weight cards at 9 a.m. Thursday. After the judges placing of each class, all steers in the class will be weighed. The weigh-back on steers will reflect 5% above and below the weight turned in by the exhibitor. The 5% weigh-back on the steers will be adjusted up to the nearest 5 lb. increment should the allowed maximum weight not be a 5 or 10 lb. weight. (example – 1362 max. would be adjusted to 1365 lb.) If a steer exceeds the maximum allowed weight, the scales will be zeroed and the steer will immediately be weighed once again by the livestock committee person. Reweigh weight is final. Any steer weighing more than 105 percent or less than 95% of its official weight will be disqualified. There will be no tolerance on weight. Official scales will be available after 8 p.m. on Wednesday through the Market Steer Show on Friday. In case of a disqualification, the next placing steer in that class would be moved up.
- Steers will be selected for sale order by the judge immediately after the Market Steer Classes, and all steers selected for the sale must sell.
- The steer show will be “slick-shear.” Steers’ hair must be shorn/clipped to no more than 1/4″ length on any location of the body excluding the ears and excluding the tail switch (any hair on the tail not sheared and left on the tail above the tail switch shall not be more than 6″ above the end of the cartilage of the tail). Steers must be sheared prior to arrival at the show.
- All market steers are subject to being randomly selected for drug testing at the discretion of the Livestock Show Superintendent or the Beef Cattle Superintendent. The use of animal drugs or other substances in any manner other than in accord with the labeling approved by the FDA is a violation of federal law and Harvest Festival & Livestock Show rules. Exhibitor’s and exhibitor’s parents/guardians agree that: (a) they are absolutely and completely responsible for the care and custody of their animal(s), (b) the Harvest Festival & Livestock Show shall be entitled to disqualify an exhibitor whose animal tests positive for any drug, even if the exhibitor and the exhibitor’s parents/guardians are innocent of any wrongdoing and did not administer the drug and (c) the drug test results of the testing laboratory are final and binding upon the exhibitor and the exhibitor’s parents/guardians. In the event of a positive test from drugs the Harvest Festival & Livestock Show shall disqualify the exhibitor and withhold all prizes including market sale proceeds.
PROSPECT STEER DIVISION
- The Prospect Steer Division will consist of steers not entered in the Market Steer Division.
- Animals in the Prospect Steer Division will not be eligible for the Harvest Festival Sale.
- All prospect steers will be presented for weighing and registration from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 a.m. on October 27, 2018.
- The Beef Superintendents shall have the responsibility of determining the respective classes.
- Prospect Steers will be shown by weight in 3 divisions – American, British, Exotic.
PROSPECT STEER SCHEDULE OF AWARDS:
1ST THRU 8TH PLACE – RIBBONS
DIVISION CHAMPIONS AND RESERVES – TUMBLERS
GRAND CHAMPION PROSPECT STEER – TROPHY BUCKLE
RESERVE CHAMPION PROSPECT STEER – TROPHY BUCKLE